- Year 4: 2018
- Year 4, 5, 6: 2019
To Parents and Caregivers,
In 2017 we have been trialling the use of Chromebooks in Year 4 - 6 classes, as a tool that engages students and allows them to explore new opportunities in their learning. From 2018, we will be embarking on an exciting development in the way learning can be undertaken in the Year 4 - 6 area of the school. To achieve new and different learning possibilities, we are encouraging students in Year 4 (2018) and Year 4 - 6 (2019) to bring their own chromebook to school (BYOC).
We understand that this is a change to what has occurred previously. It is however, an initiative that we believe captures current and future direction in primary education. This is reflected in the new Digital Technologies Curriculum that will be implemented across all schools from 2018.
Chromebooks are fast, easy to use, relatively cost-effective, safe and secure devices. As they have no moving parts, they are more resilient than laptops. They are becoming increasingly common in primary classrooms.
BYOC is not compulsory and there will still be an existing supply of Chromebooks and laptops for student use in the classroom. We do though encourage parents to consider this as an option for their child, in order to provide them with their own Chromebook, which can be brought to school and taken home each day. If your child has their own Chromebook, it will be used only by them and will be locked away in their classroom when they are not in the room, e.g. lunchtimes, assemblies.
We’d strongly suggest that a 3-year warranty and insurance cover are obtained if you wish your child to have their own Chromebook.
We encourage your questions - please feel free to see either of us.
Andrew Leverton - Principal
Jo Drake - Middle School Team Leader
The school, with the support of our Home and School group, has purchased a small amount of Chromebooks for Year 4 - 6 classes. These are the Acer C731 and HP 11G5 (4GB). These have worked well for us and as such would be recommended models to look out for when purchasing. The C738T is a touchscreen alternative.
We recommend the following specifications for a Chromebook:
- Battery life: should last 5-8 hours to be able to get through the school day without recharging
- Dual Band Wireless: 802.11 b/g/n (5.0 Ghz) – this allows a more stable connection to our network
- RAM/Memory: should be 4GB or more, so that programmes can run quickly
- Screen size: 11.6 inch
- Insurance: the school cannot be responsible for damage or loss of electronic devices, so please make sure this is covered on your own policy. This can be an add on with any purchase through Cyclone
- Warranty: having a 3 year warranty is important as students who are using a device will want any faults fixed quickly (comes with Cyclone Chromebooks)
- A suitable hard carry case for transporting between home and school (comes with Cyclone Chromebooks)
Purchasing / Finance options
The school has worked hard to secure deals on Chromebooks with Cyclone Computing. Cyclone have launched a parent portal for our school:
Chromebooks are also able to be purchased through any computer retailer. We would recommend the above models / specifications. There are finance options available through Cyclone for families that may find purchasing a Chromebook outright difficult. Please see Andrew Leverton or Jo Drake. Other retailers may also offer different deals.
Here are a couple of links: